The Benin Zonal Command of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission [EFCC] has secured the conviction of David Wealth Ezuzu, an funding fraudster.
Justice Efe Ikponmwonba of the Edo State High Court, Benin City pronounced Ezuzu responsible of N5 billion rip-off.
Ezuzu, who’s the chief government of Arerben Ventures, an funding firm, was arraigned on one depend cost of acquiring by false pretence over N5 billion from the general public on the pretext of investing it in forex buying and selling.
The cost reads: “”that you simply, David Wealth Ezuzu ( buying and selling underneath the title and elegance of Arerben ventures) generally between eleventh January, 2020 and 1st day of March, 2021 in Edo State inside the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court did switch the combination sum of N15,2000,000 (Fifteen Million, Two Hundred Thousand Naira) out of the overall sum of N5,458,171,996.95 (Five Billion, Four Hundred and Fifty-eight Million, One Hundred and Seventy One Thousand, Nine Hundred and Ninety-six Naira, Ninety-five Kobo) you obtained in your Access Bank account quantity:0795689642 from unsuspecting members of the general public as funding into Forex buying and selling to your Guaranty Trust Bank 0114467985 within the title of Ezuzu David figuring out that very same characterize proceeds of Ezuzu David’s felony conduct, to wit: acquiring cash by false pretense and thereby dedicated an offence opposite to Section 17(a) of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission ( Establishment ) Act, 2004 and punishable underneath part 17(b) of the identical Act”.
The defendant pleaded responsible to the cost. In view of his plea, the prosecution counsel, Francis A.Jirbo, prayed the court docket to convict and sentence him accordingly.
However, the defence counsel, A. Afamefena, pleaded with the court docket to mood justice with mercy as restitution shall be made to the victims of the crime.
Justice Ikponmwonba convicted and sentenced Ezuzu to three (3) years imprisonment with an possibility of Two Million Naira tremendous.
His firm, D.W.Arerben Global Investment, was convicted and sentenced to a tremendous of N2 million.
The firm is to be wound-up and the steadiness of N1, 099,503.08 in its account forfeited to the Federal Government via the EFCC for the aim of restituting the victims of the crime.
The decide additionally ordered the forfeiture of N102, 131.45 within the defendant’s enterprise account and 5 different financial institution accounts (. David Wealth Ezuzu Zenith checking account no: 2179944006, David Ezuzu Guarantee Trust Bank account no: 0046882751, David Ezuzu Standard chartered checking account no:5005093998, David Ezuzu Wema Bank account no :025183759; 0620469522 ; 0620485793 ;0620485786;2009369467 and Prestana Enterprise Sterling Bank account no: 0081931988) to the Federal Government via the EFCC for the aim of restituting victims of the crime.
The court docket additional ordered that the defendant forfeits to the Federal Government via the EFCC for the good thing about the victims of the crime the next properties:
1. 5 Bedroom duplex and safety home located at Plot 3 Block 7 Kewkagbor Family Layout, Off Ibusa Road, Asaba, Oshimili South LGA, Delta State.
2. Landed property located at Okotomi Layout, Obadogwugwu Quarters, Okpanam Quarters, Ibusa Road, Asaba, Oshimili North LGA, Delta State.
3. Landed property at Anieluenonu New Layout, Obadogwugwu Quarters, Okpanam, Asaba, Oshimili North LGA, Delta State.
4. 5 Bedroom duplex with bungalow located at 12 Okwunze Street, Off Stadium Road, Oshimili South LGA, Delta State.
5. Two bungalows of three bedrooms and a pair of bedrooms respectively at Obiaje Family land, Off Asaba, Oshimili South LGA Delta State.
6. Landed property, Plot 27 located at Umayi Umuezeafadia Family land, Okosolo, Asaba-Benin Road in Oshimili South LGA, Delta State.
7. Bungalow located alongside R.N. Okonkwo Street, Ogbeowelle Quarters, Okpanam, Oshimili North LGA, Delta State.
8. 26 Hectares of land situated at Ngbo Ofuke Village, Asaba, Delta State.
9. Three storey constructing into 3 locations located at Obduogwu Family.land, Opposite NNPC Filling Station, Asaba, Delta State.
10. A bit or parcel of land measuring roughly 200ft By 200ft ( 1 Acre ) mendacity and located at Elibujor ogne- of Layout by Benin – Asaba Expressway.
Also ordered forfeited are: one leaflet of Keystone financial institution supervisor’s cheque valued ( N400,000), 13 leaflets of Zenith financial institution supervisor’s cheques valued at N115,000,000, 10 leaflets of Guaranty Trust Bank supervisor’s cheaque valued at N61,700,000.00, 28 leaflets of First City Monument Bank supervisor’s cheque valued at N33,550,000 and a pair of leaflets of UBA supervisor’s cheque valued at 300,000